CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Breaking Points
Today I had the privilege of speaking at an Ovarian Cancer Support Group. The topic was Spirituality and the Cancer Journey. As you may guess, this topic is very dear to me but I struggled with what I should say that would help other cancer patients. Ultimately, I decided to tell my story and share scriptures that have been my strength.

Well, I was ready and had more than enough to say but something happened that completely threw me off. Updates on members were given. It was reported that one lady had been struggling with treatments but this past week had been told the cancer had metastasized in her brain and she had 4 to 6 weeks to live. A few minutes later we were in shock when she walked slowly into the room!

I quickly adjusted my talk and began with the insight of the words of Isaiah. In chapter 40:28-31 he writes to a nation in exile in Babylon. In their despair they ask if or why God had forgotten them completely. In reply Isaiah, the prophet reminds them of the greatness of God. I spoke of the same greatness of God to women who need HOPE.

The powerful words of Isaiah help each of us today. God's strength is constant, and those who hope in the Lord will have their strength renewed . Each of us has a breaking point but with our Lord walking with us, we will have the strength to continue. Our journey, whether it is cancer, or marital problems makes us stronger if we will turn to our Lord; "We will soar on wings like eagles, we will run and not grow weary, we will walk and not be faint."

0 comments: